Once Alvaro Torres finished his performance in the Josone Jazz & Son Varadero Festival the artist wished to share with us his first thoughts after the concert, under one condition though: just a brief interview so he could talk to the public still involved in the magic of his music; we didn´t think twice.
Why did you choose to perform in this festival?
– I wanted to perform for the Cuban public. I feel I´m indebted for all they have given me during so many years without even knowing me and I think it is about time I should return all that love through my music.
What did you feel after seeing everyone humming your songs, old as new ones alike?
– It is very pleasant for me and for every singer/songwriter; it is simply priceless.
You have shared here with excellent national and international artists, what are your thoughts about Cuban music?
– The scope of this festival is similar to past ones and I believe we can together, turn itinto a referral of Cuban music. The experience has been a bit difficult bearing maybe a feeling of uncertainty for all the participants, this being the first edition. I am sure it will be a success and wish the very best to the entrepreneurs, to the Ministry of Culture, to the Music Institute and to the Ministry of Tourism for hosting this event which I believe will be once more, an eloquent piece about Cuba.
The Cuban public is waiting for your new album recorded with EGREM in collaboration with other artists. Please comment on this and on the importance of collaboration and duets for you.
– Of course, EGREM´s proposal based on the catalogue of my songs was of great satisfaction to me. We already chose 14 songs and will have to leave it there in order to make the album an enjoyable experience, so 14 songs is the right amount.
– This album includes special collaborations with OmaraPortuondo, Eliades Ochoa, HailaMonpie, LaritzaBacallao, Francisco Cespedes, Leoni Torres, maestro Isaac Delgado, Waldo Mendoza and the SextetoSantiaguero; Frank Fernández alsogifted me a piano/voice duet with his typical piano virtuosity, he embellished one of my songs – “Cuando un amortermina” – which is to me true joy. Though still under way, we are working intensely and I believe we´ll be ready to go in four weeks more or less.
Lastly I ask for a message to the Cuban people who is delighted with your productions, your music and this new album.
–Well, I only ask them to keep gracing me with their love and preference for my songs. I lovethembecausethey are a marvelousaudience.
By: Dianik Flores